Folsom Lake College Earns Statewide Recognition for Increasing Student’s Economic Mobility
RANCHO CORDOVA, CA (MPG) - Folsom Lake College is pleased to announce that nine of its career education programs have received special recognition from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office as a "Strong Workforce Star."
Strong Workforce Stars is an annual recognition for California Community College career education programs, also known as career technical education, which debuted in 2017. It highlights programs whose graduates show significant gains in factors important for advancing social mobility – a substantial increase in earnings, attainment of a living wage, and a job closely matched with the field of study.
This year, Bronze Star, Silver Star, and Gold Star categories were introduced, with each winning program receiving recognition in one of those categories.
“With the introduction of levels this year, we are able to highlight those programs that are seeing significant results, as well as those that are on the rise toward even greater success,” said Van Ton-Quinlivan, executive vice chancellor, Workforce & Digital Futures, California Community Colleges. “The Strong Workforce Stars program not only shines a light on effective programs, it provides valuable information for students exploring their program options.”
The 2018 Strong Workforce Stars were awarded to career education programs in 12 industry sectors. Folsom Lake College programs that received recognition are:
· Accounting: 84% of students attained the regional living wage (Bronze Star)
· Administration of Justice: 64% increase in earnings (Bronze Star)
· Business and Commerce, General: 77% increase in earnings (Bronze Star)
· Business Management: 83% of students attained the regional living wage (Bronze Star)
· Child Development Administration and Management: 56% increase in earnings (Bronze Star)
· Early Childhood Education: 56% increase in earnings and 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study (Silver Star)
· Infants and Toddlers: 100% of students are employed in a job similar to their field of study (Bronze Star)
· Medical Laboratory Technology: 90% of students attained the regional living wage (Bronze Star)
· Water and Wastewater Technology: 91% of students attained the regional living wage (Bronze Star)
“This recognition is a testament to the quality of our programs and the dedication of the Folsom Lake College faculty who lead them. I am very proud of the accomplishments of our career education programs at FLC,” said Vicky Maryatt, Dean of Career and Technical Education. “We are actively researching labor market trends and exploring and developing new programs to meet the needs of our communities. More importantly, we are focused on providing robust programming that supports students’ desire to finding meaningful work.”
Strong Workforce Stars is an output of the Strong Workforce Program, an annual recurring investment of $200 million to spur career education in the nation’s largest workforce development system of 114 colleges to create 1 million more middle-skilled workers, thereby producing a job-ready workforce for employers and lifting low-wage workers into living-wage jobs.
Strong Workforce initiatives and metrics are aligned with those of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014, a national initiative designed to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy.
For more information about Folsom Lake College and its Workforce Star programs, go to: www.flc.losrios.edu.